You might know the statutory penalties for driving while intoxicated (DWI), but do you know what it can do to your insurance? A DWI conviction can have lasting effects including to your insurance policy. Texas requires people with a DWI conviction to file a Form SR-22 Insurance Certificate with the Department of Public Safety (DPS). An SR-22 is a certificate which verifies you have maintained your motor liability insurance. It’s issued by most insurance providers but has expensive minimum liability amounts. You’ll be required to submit an SR-22 if you want to have your license reinstated by DPS. Filing an SR-22 can be stressful on you and your wallet. If you or someone you know has been charged with DWI, it’s imperative you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Attorney Explains SR-22 Insurance in Houston, TX

A DWI could lead to a slew of collateral consequences such as an expensive insurance policy.  If you are convicted of DWI, you’ll be required to file an SR-22 Insurance Certificate with DPS to retain your license. Failure to do so could result in the revocation of your license. You can avoid this entirely with having a formidable defense for your DWI. Contact the attorneys at Tyler Flood & Associates to start that defense today. We have years of experience in criminal defense with a primary focus in DWI law. Tyler Flood & Associates can help you fight these charges to protect not only your future, but your insurance policy. Call us now at (713) 224-5529 for a free consultation. Tyler Flood & Associates represents people with DWI allegations throughout the greater Harris County area including Tomball, Houston, West University Place and Pasadena. Overview of SR-22 Vehicle Insurance in Texas

What is an SR-22 Form in Texas?

A Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate (SR-22) verifies you have maintained your motor vehicle liability insurance. It’s an endorsement to your current insurance policy which certifies you have minimum liability insurance required by law. In Texas, it’s required you file an SR-22 if you have been convicted for any of the following:

  • Driving while intoxicated (DWI);
  • Driving on a suspended or invalid license;
  • Having no insurance and multiple unpaid tickets;
  • Failing to pay the full amount in a liability claim; or
  • Having been issued excessive traffic violations

You’ll be obligated to file and maintain your SR-22 for two years starting from the date of the conviction. The SR-22 must be filed to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) if you want to have your license reinstated. DPS will also require you to pay a reinstatement fee of $125 for your license. If the suspension was because you were DWI, then an additional $100 will be added. It’s recommended you contact your local insurance agent or provider to obtain an SR-22. Most insurance companies offer a type of SR-22. If you don’t own a vehicle, you can ask about the Non-Owner SR-22 Certificate. The Non-Owner SR-22 will still maintain the minimum liability amounts while allowing you to drive another person’s car. Carrying your insurance card isn’t enough to prove you have filed an SR-22. If you’ve been required to file an SR-22 by law, you must have a copy of the certificate on you while you drive. An insurance card will not be accepted in place of an SR-22.

Back to top

Minimum Liability Amounts for an SR-22

The purpose of an SR-22 is to prove you have maintained minimum liability amounts. The minimum liability coverage amounts required by law are:

  • $30,000 for bodily injury or death of a person in an accident;
  • $60,000 for bodily injury or death of two or more people in an accident; and
  • $25,000 for damage or destruction of property of others in an accident

Back to top

Types of SR-22 Insurance in Texas

Figuring out an SR-22 can be a hassle, but Texas offers you options to streamline the process. If you’ve been notified by DPS to file an SR-22, there are three types to choose from in Texas including:

  • SR-22 Owner’s Certificate – Covers you while driving any vehicle you own;
  • Non-Owner SR-22 Certificate – Insurance for you to drive vehicles you don’t own yourself, but have permission to drive from the owner of the vehicle.
  • SR-22 Owner-Operator Certificate – Covers you for operating vehicles you own and any vehicles you don’t own but were given permission to drive.

Back to top

What Happens if I Don’t File a SR-22?

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) doesn’t make it easy for you to avoid filing an SR-22. Insurance providers are required to inform DPS if you have terminated, lapse or cancelled your insurance policy. If this happens, then DPS will likely automatically suspend your license whether it’s valid or occupational. Choosing to drive with a suspended or invalid license is also risky. You could face additional charges if you’re pulled over by law enforcement. Driving with a suspended license is a class C misdemeanor and can be enhanced if you have a history of this type of offense. If you drive without valid insurance, you could be charged with a class C misdemeanor which can result in a fine of up to $500.

Back to top

Additional Resources

SR-22 Certificate – Visit the official website of Texas Department of Public Safety to learn more about SR-22 insurance certificates. Access the site to learn about license reinstatement requirements, the DPS contact information and how to check your driver eligibility status. Motor Vehicle Safety Responsibility Act – Visit the official website of the Texas Transportation Code to learn more about the laws outlining auto insurance in Texas. Access the statute to learn more about requirements to maintain insurance, proof of financial responsibility and penalties for failing to keep up with your insurance.

Lawyer for SR-22 Insurance in Harris County, Texas

If you or someone you know has been charged with DWI, it’s crucial you gain trusted legal representation. A DWI conviction can have a lasting impact to not just your freedom, but your insurance. Don’t wait another moment to fight these charges and call Tyler Flood & Associates. The attorneys at Tyler Flood & Associates have years of experience with DWI law. We can assess your charges to formulate a strong defense for you. Call us now at (713) 224-5529 to schedule a free consultation. Tyler Flood & Associates accepts clients throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area including River Oaks, Magnolia Park and Uptown.

This article was last updated on March 11th, 2019.


Use the form to submit your request for a free consultation.

*Use of this form does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Driving While Intoxicated (Blood Draw .16)
Client had bond forfeited while case was pending for not being able to attend trial when Judge ordered us to be there due to his teaching job at Texas A&M University. When he more
Read More Case Results
Tyler Flood & Associates
2019 Washington Ave. #300
Houston, TX 77007
(713) 224-5529
Get Directions to Our Office


Robert Henderson
Robert Henderson
December 22, 2023.
I want to give a special thanks to Tyler Flood & Associates. Getting charged with a dwi was the worst feeling and situation I've been in, but the professionalism and confidence that Tyler Fllod & Associates showed throughout my case definitely helped me get some sleep at night. Then when they called and let me know that my case was dismissed and all charges dropped was incredible. Once again, thanks to Tyler Flood & Associates.
Zeta Ze
Zeta Ze
December 15, 2023.
Houston DWI/DUI Tyler Flood is the best lawyer to represent you in a DWI/DUI case. Mr. Flood saved my license from being suspended in a non-refusal weekend. In a case, where I feel I did everything wrong and had 0 chance, in my opinion, for a dismissal, my only hope and chance was to hire Mr. Flood and his firm. Having had previous experience with Mr. Flood's firm, I felt that if I had any percentage chance of a dismissal, I had to go with Mr. Flood again. As I am writing this review, I'm still in shock and awe in how Mr. Flood was able to get a dismissal before trial completely started. Mr. Flood knew the law better than the arresting officer and Prosecutors. Even the judge was impressed and paid him a compliment after the dismissal. In my opinion, if you want a fighting chance, hire Mr. Flood and his firm. Mr. Flood genuinely cares about all his clients and does not merely see you as a customer. He and his team are always working on your case. Trust his process. They are absolutely the BEST.
briana Munoz
briana Munoz
December 5, 2023.
Thanks to Tyler Flood I am able to continue my life, him and his partners were amazing in guiding me throughout this hard process. Tyler and his team got me a CASE DISMISSED on my DWI case. His team kept in contact with me on every small detail about my case while being able to thoroughly explain every possibility for me. I also never had to step foot in a courtroom! Him and his team had my back every step of the way and never made me feel like it was not going to be okay. Tyler flood is the BEST DWI/DUI attorney no doubt, please consider letting him take your case if you are ever in need of an amazing lawyer.
October 19, 2023.
When I found myself in a precarious situation and didn’t know where or who to turn to I was recommended to Tyler Flood and Associates. After researching and reading many reviews I decided to hire and retain Flood and Associates services. This was one of the best decisions I made in my life, not only were they there for me in every dim moment and never too busy to answer every question I had whether it was frivolous or not, his expertise was demonstrated to me during my trial. So much so that two other defendants asked for his name and number during my trial. He fought tooth-and-nail for me and he will for you too. I’m only rating him five stars because I can’t rate him any higher. I’ll thank him for the rest of my life.
October 12, 2023.
Houston DWI/DUI Attorney Tyler Flood is the best in the business! Tyler and his team made the entire process stress free for what is a very stressful situation. From winning the first administrative hearing (to retain my license/avoid a breathalyzer) to getting the dismissal before trial even started. He is truly the best in the business!
Cesar Ricardez
Cesar Ricardez
October 3, 2023.
I hired Tyler Flood the day after my DUI arrest after reading glowing reviews about him and I couldn’t be happier that I did so. He took care of both my cases to keep my driving rights and the misdemeanor DUI charge in court. I never even had to appear in court or do anything, him and his team took care of anything while I carried on with my life and would just get updates whenever they appeared in court on my behalf. At the end, my driver license was never suspended and they got my case dismissed. Lesson learned, I don’t wish anyone to get in my situation but if you do, don’t hesitate to hire Tyler Flood and his team, they are extremely professional and they go for the win. No deal, no probation, got it all dismissed.
September 14, 2023.
Tyler Flood, Houston DWI/DUI attorney is fantastic! He is professional, smart and takes pride in getting the best possible outcome for you. This was my second DWI and I didn't want to take chances. I found him on Google and I too was in disbelief with all the 5.0 star reviews. Upon meeting him I quickly discovered it was all true. A lawyer with his own science lab WTH??????? Long story short he got my case dismissed without going to court. You can not put a price on freedom. The only downside is I only hope to need his services this one time. 😀 Thanks again Mr. Flood God bless.
John Sellers
John Sellers
August 31, 2023.
Houston DUI/DWI attorney Tyler Flood is the guy to go to!! I started my journey with these guys on August 4th of this year, my case was dismissed before the end of the month!! Well worth it!! They are organized and efficient, kept me informed of what was going on and answered all my questions. I have shared with my friends and definitely recommend to anyone.
August 29, 2023.
Houston DUI/DWI attorney Tyler Flood is an outstanding attorney and person. If you are in need of a lawyer who understands the panic and sheer fear a family feels when this happens in their lives,Tyler Flood is the attorney for you. He has an outstanding educational background, his office includes an on-site, state-of-the-arts laboratory, and he is surrounded with a legal team to provide background and research data for him to be successful in representing you. He is a One-of-Kind, highly accomplished attorney that will promptly respond to you throughout the duration of your case. Seriously, this guy NEVER sleeps! Tyler Flood understands the importance of a person’s reputation and the seriousness of a DUI/DWI charge. If you choose to work with him, he will work with you to be successful! Tyler Flood is AWESOME!
Trey Perrett
Trey Perrett
August 14, 2023.
Words cannot express what a dominating lawyer Tyler Flood and his team are. I ran into some trouble in 2021 and I was just getting my family, career ,and life together. I was completely scared of what the repercussions could be for the rest of my life. I asked civil layers who they recommend and repeatedly Tyler Flood’s name was given to me. At my first appointment, I was overcome with anxiety of what will happen next. Tyler put me at ease immediately. He believed I had a case. They were great on response time and helping me navigate the often confusing legal system. It’s a long process to have a case brought to trial but I knew I had an amazing lawyer and his team in my corner. Finally, I received the call that my case was dismissed, and I was cleared of all charges. I could not be happier with the way he and his colleagues handled my case and brought home the W. I strongly recommend having Tyler Flood in your corner because he delivers.
Disclaimer: The information on this website does NOT constitute legal advice. If you need legal advice, then retain an attorney to discuss the facts of your case. If you would like to discuss your case with an attorney at Tyler Flood & Associates, Inc., then please contact us to schedule a consultation. Until we specifically agree to act for you on a matter, you should not provide us with any confidential information or material.
Copyright © 2024 Tyler Flood & Associates, Inc.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram